The fact that I’ve been 30 for over a year now and have just turned 31 is slightly alarming. The year seems to have completely flown by but on reflection, a whole lot of stuff has happened.
Sadly there’s been some lows. A close friend has been poorly, and of course my beautiful home town was the victim of a terrorist attack – the Manchester bombing. The combination of these events triggered several panic attacks, they just make you realise how precious life and health is.
Fortunately the lows have been outweighed with some highs! Lets talk holidays. My 30th year was kicked off in Barcelona, an absolutely brilliant birthday present from my very kind and generous boyfriend.
We booked a last minute trip to my parent’s Andalucian Villa in July, and then again in September accompanied with some friends.
We also then made it to Budapest in March. So definitely can’t complain with the travelling involved in my 30th year.
Other highlights include…
Buying a flat! On the 12th May 2017 the purchase of our flat completed. I’ve spent the last year putting our stamp on it, and genuinely look forward to coming home every day. Still a few things to do; one day I’ll be able to afford wardrobe doors, and you can never have too many house plants.
I got a new job! After years of working in Customer Service and then in numbers and spreadsheets, I’m finally able to put my creative background into use in the marketing department. Am I earning the salary I thought I would be on at 31 – no. But am I going in the right direction – hopefully yes. Swings and roundabouts.
Went to some great gigs, Queens of the Stone Age, Mastadon, Deftones.
Also, in my education as a Manchester United fan, I made it to Wembley for the FA Cup Semi Final. A very entertaining day out!
So to summarise, it’s been a good year all in all.
What’s strange about being over 30 is that the things your mum told you you wouldn’t care about when you’re older are so true. Things I no longer care about are as follows:
- What people think about me – if people don’t like me that’s fine, I probably don’t like them either 🙂
- Conforming – don’t get me wrong, I like to follow the fashions etc, but it will always be my own version of them. I also wonder at what age I will stop dying my hair blue, or pink, or purple, but I don’t think it will be anytime soon.
- Gossip – most gossip I hear now my response tends to be an eye roll followed by a muttering of “grow up”.
- Friendships dying out – my mum always told me friendships would grow apart, and I used to be so worried by it, but the friends you need stick around, I promise, don’t worry about the others.
- Nights out – I’m all for a few pints, but if I’m not in bed by 12 I will turn into a pumpkin.
- Fear of missing out – nope, just don’t get it anymore.
Things I do care about:
- Honesty – deceitfulness and lying is just unacceptable.
- Being happy – genuinely the overriding factor in anything, if it doesn’t make you happy don’t do it.
- Cosy nights in – netflix and chill. G&T, duvet, sofa.
- Having a handful of close, reliable friends – they’re the best.
So there we go. Cheers to being 31, and here’s to the next 12 months. xoxo